March 16, 2014

Off-the-cuff process

Fellow speaker,

Accredited Speaker Johnny Campbell suggests using these methods in giving off-the-cuff speeches (speeches where you don't have time to prepare):
  • Bridge - move from something unknown to something known while still staying on topic ("I don't know much about how to fix a car, but I do know how to fix a tire so I imagine fixing a car is like that.") 
  • Reframe - redefine the topic from what you don't know to something you know ("I don't know much about basketball, but, speaking of sports, I'm really into baseball."
  • Monodrama - internal dialogue ("The other day I was thinking, 'I've been so busy at work, I haven't made any time to go outside.' ")
Cuffed,

Tim Wilson
Professional Speech Coach
Free speaking tips at: http://speakingquicktips.blogspot.com