When trying to create a metaphor for your speech, use the method professional speaker Sheri Bennefeld uses:
- Identify the problem or challenge you are talking about
- Select a random person, place, object, or event (this will be your metaphor)
- Brainstorm all the possible connections between what you are talking about and your random selection
- Check to see if the metaphor is "working" and gives extra meaning to the problem or challenge
- If so, plan out your speech using the metaphor as a way to tie everything in the speech together; if not, repeat steps 1-4 until the metaphor "works"
Professional Speech Coach
Free speaking tips at http://speakingquicktips.blogspot.com